Sadly, my time at Untold is up. I am looking forward to my new job and team, but there are certain things you learn in a digital shop with a heart of gold. Certain things you take with you for life. Here’s my list:
- Your worth as an individual is not determined by your foosball skills. However, you will be mocked mercilessly once your name is associated with a certain score-on-oneself maneuver.
- iWork Numbers is a wizard. It can do just about anything in the way of organizing. You can spend a whole day submerged in formulas and rules. And it will be fulfilling if you are as “Type-A” as I am.
- Process is ever-changing. Especially in the digital realm where there are new technologies every week. Don’t get bogged down. Choose to evolve.
- You’ve heard it before: content is indeed king. A good website is not only user friendly, it is actually interesting and worthwhile to said user.
- Exclamation points are not beloved by all. Don’t let the haters bring you down!
- Versions and Beanstalk will save your life (and your files) at least once every three months.
- If you are the only chick in the office, expect hair, outfit, and shoe compliments to be few and far between.
- Pandora will play Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros‘ break-out song “Home” regardless of your station.
- Cognitive dissonance is a pain. In this office, I am easily in the bottom of the ranks for digital know-how. I can only partially speak in the highly technical nature of our well-equipped and expert developers and interactive designers. And yet, in the real world, it would seem that I am actually quite far ahead of the curve. Remember: don’t take your digital know-how for granted.
- Taylor Swift is the ultimate punishment for getting to meetings late. I have put “22” on repeat enough to make even the biggest teenage fangirl a little tired of the beat.
- 10,000ft is the best time tracking tool in the industry. Period.
- When you are leaving a place as close to your heart as the amazing shop that is Untold, try not to cry too much. It’s bad for your eye liner and it’s dehydrating.
There are a ton more lessons wrapped in my year and a half here. Enough to write blog posts for ages. Last Thursday was my last day and I have an adventure lunch to attend and a foosball game to lose.